Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Apple & Berry Compote


Lately, I have found myself craving apples, even though they aren't in season. In particular, I have been longing for sweet applesauce served as a warm, comforting after-dinner dessert. My mom sometimes makes a delicious apple compote, but I could not quite recall how she made it, so I scoured the web until I found this great recipe, which I adjusted slightly.

Apple & Berry Compote
Serves 2

Ingredients
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/6 cup sugar
  • 1/2 vanilla bean (optional but recommended!)
  • 1 tablespoon brandy
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 2-3 apples, peeled, cored, and cubed
  • ¼ cup of blueberries or other kind of berry

Directions
In a large saucepan, combine the water, sugar, vanilla bean and seeds, brandy, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg and bring to a boil. Boil gently until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture thickens slightly, about 5 minutes.

Add the apples and berries and return to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the apples are very tender and the mixture thickens, about 20 minutes.

Remove from the heat and take out the vanilla pod. Enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. Hi Carole,

    I would love that! Feel free to link any recipe I post to your series.

    ReplyDelete