Monday, March 19, 2012

Delicious Coleslaw

I've been getting a lot of cabbage, carrots, and beets in my CSA boxes recently since they're in season, so I wanted to find a great coleslaw recipe. Up until now, I haven't much success in finding a coleslaw recipe I truly enjoyed. Many were bland and others had either too little or too much mayonnaise. I'm a purist when it comes to coleslaw, so I think you do need to include some mayo, but there's no need to overdo it. After some research and trial and error,  I came up with the following recipe. I always like a good kick in my salads, so I usually include pickled jalapeños but, obviously, you should adjust to your own preferences.

Coleslaw

1 head of green cabbage, thinly shredded
1/2 cup onion, finely diced (I've used both green onions and yellow onions and either one seems to work well)
2 large carrots, grated
1 small or medium raw beet, grated (these can be a lot of work to grate when raw but the addition brings great flavor and a pretty color to your salad)
chopped pickled jalapeños (optional)--I usually put in about 1/4 cup
chopped kalamata olives (optional)--also about 1/4 cup

1 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon dijon mustard
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon salt

Toss the veggies together in a large bowl. Combine the dressing ingredients in another bowl, stir together, and mix into veggies. Let sit in the refrigerator for at least an hour before serving. I've found that the longer it marinates, the better the taste. For best results, use fresh veggies.

1 comment: