Saturday, March 31, 2012

Finding a Piece of Sunlight on Rainy Days


It has been a rather cloudy and rainy past few days here in the bay area. We had an unusually dry and sunny winter (at least, so I am told…it was my first winter here!), so the rain was a much-needed blessing. Even so, I find it can sometimes be hard to stay positive, light-hearted, and energetic on days when the sun never shows its face or only peeks through the clouds for a few brief moments during the day. My energy level has always been heavily influenced by the weather, with sunny days usually accompanied by vitality, stamina, and a get-up-and-go type of enthusiasm, while cloudy/rainy ones tend to invite lethargy and idleness. I have the hardest time simply waking up on rainy days and never seem to snap out of a heaviness that weighs on me physically and emotionally.

I am aware of Seasonal Affective Disorder and know that part of what I experience on those days may be related to that, but I think this feeling of lethargy is more common than we realize. In fact, I have talked to many people who struggle with similar feelings on dark, rainy days and have a hard time functioning when rain persists for longer than a day. Though I am continuously working on overcoming my own battles with this, I found a few things to be quite helpful on dark days when you just can’t seem to wake up/get out of the house/get things done/feel content:

1.     Listen to happy, upbeat music that makes you want to dance. I am not normally a huge techno fan, but today I decided to try out the “Vengaboys” Pandora station and I found that it really did make me want to get up and move! One song in particular really got me going:

                                                          "Lucky (Hot Stuff Short Mix)" by Lucky Twice

2.     Go on a walk. Though it was the last thing I wanted to do today (trust me), I forced myself to put on some warm clothes and head out for a nice stroll around the neighborhood. In doing so, I got some fresh air, exercise, and even discovered a lovely small park in my neighborhood that I never knew existed. (If it is pouring rain, this may be more difficult to execute, but I still encourage you to put on a raincoat, grab an umbrella, and make the most of your outing).

3.     Bake. There’s nothing better than warm, fresh-out-of-the-oven, melt-in-your-mouth cookies on a cold rainy day. Bust out the apron and bake up a storm! Plus, having the oven on will create a warm, toasty atmosphere that is irresistible.

4.     Brew yourself a cup of coffee and write in a journal. I know, I know: it’s cliché. But seriously, when else are you going to have the time? Not to mention, a rainy indoor day is a great time for thoughtful reflection and for looking inwards to discover purpose and direction.

5.     Be thankful. This one never seems to fail me. Whenever I am feeling under the weather or just down, I remind myself of all the good in my life and all the things I have to be grateful for.

"I am still determined to be cheerful and happy, in whatever situation I may be; for I have also learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions, and not upon our circumstances."
                                                                            - Martha Washington 

  

1 comment:

  1. sorry you're having the gray weather now - whereas here it is finally sunny! I like this blog - it is positive and always gives me a "lift" thanks...

    ReplyDelete