Sunday, March 18, 2012

Starting Seedlings Indoors

By far the cheapest way to grow your own food is to start your vegetables from seed. You can buy a whole pack of seeds for less than you would spend on a single vegetable plant. Granted, it does require a little more effort, time, and patience to start from seed, but I think the the final result is well worth it. By starting from seed you can also guarantee that your vegetables will be raised organically. Growing from seed is the ultimate way to have a complete say over where your food comes from and how it was grown from seed to harvest.

Below is a picture of my tomato seedlings. I started these from seed a few weeks back and they're doing great so far. As soon as the rain stops and the weather is warm enough, I'll transfer them to containers outside. All I did with these was cut the bottoms off of a few containers (you can use old plastic water bottles, milk containers, etc.), poked a few holes on the bottom, and filled them up with a nutrient-rich potting soil. I used cherry and grape tomato seeds from Botanical Interests.

Looking forward to seeing how they do when I transfer them outside! There's really nothing better than a sweet, juicy, freshly-picked tomato on a hot summer day!

"The doctor of the future will no longer treat the human frame with drugs, but rather will cure and prevent disease with nutrition." -Thomas Edison

2 comments:

  1. They are really big for just a few weeks old! I remember you had a tomato plant on your balcony last summer. I wonder if I could grow some using seeds from the tomatoes I buy to eat??

    ReplyDelete
  2. You definitely can! Some people advise against doing that, but it seems that the general consensus is that you can. Here's some info about saving seeds from tomatoes you buy at the store: http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/seedsave/2002084456024410.html

    ReplyDelete